Old Sarum Kettles

1889 – 1921

More than 140,000 'kettles' were made and sold locally as souvenirs in Salisbury between 1889 and 1921.

The original earthenware pitcher was chosen as the result of a misunderstanding because labels had been mixed up. It was believed to have been excavated at Old Sarum but it was really an oil or wine pitcher brought back from Africa in the 1800s. It was copied in stoneware by Royal Doulton and in bone china by W H Goss.

Other items in the Ceramics Gallery collection