How to make a difference in an hour and a half
We are looking for Engagement Volunteers to do weekend shifts (in particular Saturday afternoon and Sunday). You will be part of an enthusiastic team of volunteers enhancing the visitor experience of Salisbury Museum.
This is an exciting time to work at Salisbury Museum. In June 2019 the museum was awarded initial support from The National Lottery Heritage Fund for our Salisbury Museum for Future Generations project. This £4.4 million project will enable the museum to transform its displays and facilities.
- Welcome visitors into the museum
- To be friendly and informative
- Engage with visitors and answer questions about the exhibits (add an extra layer of information to the visitor experience)
- Direct visitors around the rest of the museum space
- To assist visitors including families and children with museum interactives
- To maintain a level of tidiness and order around the museum
- To assist with the flow of visitors (particularly in busy periods) through the museum
- To be vigilant at all times with regard to safety and security with the collection and visitors
- To understand and comply with the fire evacuation procedure
- To undertake visitor surveys on behalf of the museum
Skills and interests needed:
- An interest in Salisbury Museum and its collections and exhibitions (and a willingness to learn about this)
- Enjoyment of working with the public
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences
- Polite and approachable
- A friendly nature
- A reasonable level of physical dexterity
(NB this role will involve standing for periods of time and walking around the museum and includes going up and down stairs).
Training will include the following:
- Tour of the museum
- Comprehensive Induction process including the responsibilities of volunteers
- Role specific training which includes Fire and Security Training
- A buddy system can be provided
- Regular Briefings on exhibitions
- Visitor Services training
- Accessibility training
A regular weekly or fortnightly shift of 1.5 hours.
There will be a trial period of 4 months to ensure that this is the right role for you.
To download these details, please follow this link DETAILS
To apply, please email Bridget Telfer, Volunteer Co-ordinator email@example.com