Scout Car at Antiques Roadshow
To celebrate the arrival of the Antiques Roadshow at the Cathedral on 14 May the 100 year old Scout Car will be making its first appearance at Salisbury Museum.
The car was made by the Burden brothers who produced their first car in 1905. Our model was manufactured at the Scout Works, a purpose built factory, in Lower Road, Bemerton, Salisbury. It was first registered at Winchester in 1912, but little is known of its early history. In 1925 the car belonged to a Mr Edgar Jarvis in Sampford Peverell, Devon, whose name remained on the log book until 1950 when the Timmis Brothers of Yeovill rescued the Scout from a scrap yard in Honiton.
Fortunately the salvaged car was virtually complete and almost entirely original. All the original brasswork survived including the tail lamp, side lamps, head lamps and acetylene generator. In 1952 Mr George Bond of Yeovil bought the car in the as-found condition. He carried out a partial restoration, including reupholstering in ‘Rexine’ and repainting the car in ‘chamois’, a rather dull brown colour. It was rallied during the period 1952 to 1956 (including the Coronation Rally in June 1953). Some time later it was blocked up in a garage until purchased by the previous Salisbury based owners in 1984.
From 1984 to 1990 the Scout underwent a complete restoration. The whole rebuild was based on extensive research carried out before restoration commenced. It was stripped down to every last nut and bolt and all parts were cleaned down to bare metal before reassembly. Replacement wheels were provided by Beaulieu Motor Museum. The logbook shows that the colour was dark green in the 1920s. Traces of original green paint were found during stripping down so the body has been painted in Brunswick green with primrose yellow coach lining. The chassis has been hand-painted in black. The seats have been reupholstered in black button-back leather. The original hood sticks have been re-covered in an authentic black canvas material.
Salisbury Museum purchased the Scout Car in 2012 with the help of private donations and grants from Salisbury City Council and Wiltshire Council. The engine was restored by the late Frank Thomson and it is now kept in Salisbury Museum’s offsite store. We plan to secure a grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund in 2019 so we can create a new space in the museum to display it.
The car will be on display outside the museum from 9am until 5pm. Entry to the museum will be by donation thoughout the day.